Noise exposure is a leading cause of hearing loss. It usually develops gradually, and may go unnoticed until it has progressed to a point where treatment options are limited. There are steps you can take now to prevent hearing loss down the road.
Signs of Hearing Loss
Some types of hearing loss are unavoidable. That which occurs with aging (presbycusis) can’t be halted, but regular hearing tests can detect problems early. Noise-induced hearing loss, on the other hand, is usually preventable.
Exposure to excessive noise damages the hair cells of the inner ear, causing permanent hearing loss. Usually this occurs over time, but the noise from a sudden lout gunshot may be enough to cause immediate, irreversible hearing damage. More often, repeated exposure to noise in occupational and recreational settings leads to gradual hearing loss. Sources include machinery, power tools, music concerts, sporting events, firearms, fireworks, motorcycles, boats and snowmobiles.
Signs to watch out for include a ringing in the ears known as tinnitus, speech that appears muffled or difficult to understand and the feeling of fullness in the ears.
Taking Preventative Measures
Protecting your ears is the key to hearing loss prevention. If your job exposes you to hazardous noises, make sure proper safety equipment that meets state and federal regulations is provideds. It’s always a good idea to bring along earplugs if you’re participating in a noisy recreational activity (e.g,. football game or rock concert), as well.
At home, limit your exposure to noisy activities, and keep the volume down – on the television, stereo and personal listening devices like MP3 players. Prevent other types of hearing loss by refraining from inserting cotton swabs or other objects into your ears and blowing your nose gently through both nostrils. Stop smoking; studies show those who use tobacco are more likely to suffer from hearing loss.
Regardless of your age, have your hearing tested regularly. Early detection is key. While noise-related hearing loss can’t be reversed, you can still take steps to avoid further damage to your hearing.
Phonak Serenity Choice™
The high-end hearing protection from the No. 1 hearing care brand
Your hearing is a valuable commodity, and hearing well goes beyond just the ability to hear. It is tied to your social-emotional, cognitive and physical well-being. However, once damage has been done to the auditory system, it could be irreparable. So, it is essential for you – and your friends and family — to take care of your hearing before the damage is done.
Introducing Phonak Serenity Choice. This line of high-end, in-the-ear hearing protection devices is designed to reduce the impact of noise-induced hearing loss. The 100% acoustically-tested filters cancel noise and block out loud sound, while keeping ears ventilated for comfort and to reduce moisture. The hearing protection devices are made from medical-grade, hypoallergenic material, which has some antibacterial properties, unlike silicone. Plus, they can be worn multiple times.
What makes Phonak Serenity Choice the smart choice?
- Cancels noise and loud sounds
- Lets ears breathe
- Keeps relevant sound and speech
6 hearing protection devices – each in 3 different sizes — to choose from
Find the right hearing protection for your lifestyle as well as for your friends and family members.
- Phonak Serenity Choice Music: Lose none of the original sound; simply brings it down to a safe level
- Phonak Serenity Choice Work: Reduces the sound level by 24 dB making it safe for 8 hours continuous use in any environment up to 109 dB 3.
- Phonak Serenity Choice Sleep: Reduces the sound level of moderate to severe snoring by 24 dB, eliminating or reducing sound to a non-intrusive level
- Phonak Serenity Choice Comfort: Reduces low frequency noise such as in an office setting or on public transportation to an acceptable level, but allows you to hear conversations
- Phonak Serenity Choice Motorsport: Perfect for helmet-generated noise, reducing it to safe levels yet still allowing speech to be heard from intercom speakers.
- Phonak Serenity Choice Shooting Hunting: Provides optimum protection from high impulse noise, being ANSI IPIL certified up to 166 dB
Let us help you find the correct hearing protection device to fit your lifestyle and needs as well as those for your friends and family members.
Call Tucson ENT Audiology at (520) 777-0495 for more information or to schedule an appointment.